Sherbrooke Us History
Louise Abbott captured the words of this photo well in her book, "The New York City of the 1920s and 1930s: A History of America."
A few years later, in 1818, the town was given the appropriate name and the town grew considerably, with the following towns and villages. Sherbrooke also bore the name of its first mayor, William Cumminger, who is from Scotland. The elegant Cummeder offered the Scot the opportunity of a private residence in the heart of New York City, with access to the Atlantic Ocean.
He expanded his facilities in York, Pennsylvania, and acquired the land on the east side of the Hudson River, near the current Sherbrooke site.
In its first year of operation, Panther Rubber Co. (PANCO) employed 27 people and had purchased the Sherbrooke plant from the former steel mill that is now the press department. In 1928 Dominion bought two American companies that manufactured tires and fabrics, the Canadian Jenckes Company became a subsidiary known as Drummondville Cotton Company Limited, and the Connecticut Cotton Mills of 1913 became Dominion Textile in 1928. Canadian and Connecticut cotton Mills became Sherrooke Cotton Company Limited. This included the factory on the site of the old iron works on the east side of the York River. Dominion took over the company in the 1930s, in which it had been a shareholder since 1908.
The Jenckes Company and the Canadian cotton mills of 1913, and Drummondville Cotton Company Limited, a subsidiary of Dominion.
Jenckes Company and the Canadian cotton factories of 1913 and Drummondville Cotton Company Limited, a Dominion subsidiary, in the USA
The Vieux Clocher, which belongs to the Universite de Sherbrooke, had two stages, the primary of which was used by various musical groups and comedians from all over the province. The city also had to manage and develop the Sherrooke University campus, which was partly located on the site of the old Saint-Jean-Baptiste site of Saint-Denis-du-Maroc.
The village began to grow in a place called Lower Forks, which later took the name Hyatt Mill and then became Sherbrooke in 1818. The park was built in an old maple grove that belonged to Major Henry Beckett between 1834 and 1870. In 1835, the Dominion built four new factories in the area, where cotton, wool, silk, cotton wool and cotton yarn were spun, woven and processed. It became a textile center and the village of Saint-Denis-du-Maroc, now part of the city, became one of Canada's most important textile centers.
The Dominion tried to penetrate the border in 1835 when it tried to buy the land of Saint-Denis-du-Maroc, a small village in the south of the city.
The builder's two sons, Charles and William, opened a small factory in Saint-Denis-du-Maroc, where they began to weave the same business that exists today. On the opposite bank, in rue Frontenac, the first reinforced concrete factory in the town of Sherbrooke was built in 1918. Although the main plant was found in Malden, it is believed to have been established in Sher Brooke. As the roving vendors flourished, most of them opened their own businesses on the shores of Lake Ontario, such as Boulogne-sur-Mer.
Jenckes Machine Co. moved its plant to rue Lansdowne, and J.J. Jenkins & Co. opened its first brick and mortar factory in Sherbrooke on the site of the old Jenckinges Machinery plant on rue Frontenac.
Originally known as Hyatt Mill, it was renamed in honor of Sir John Hyatts, a British general who served in the Royal Canadian Navy and Canadian Army from 1812 to 1816. The Agudath Achim Synagogue, which is now a French Pentecostal church, was built in the 1920s and serves as a synagogue for Jews, non-Jews and other groups.
Originally an Anglophone stronghold, Sherbrooke experienced demographic change around the turn of the 20th century. By 1871, the Francophones were in the majority in Lennoxville, and the majority of the inhabitants were French - Canadians. There was an increase in French-Canadian immigration from 1850 onwards, with the arrival of large numbers of immigrants from the United States and other countries. French immigrants and helped restore the city's dynamism to its former status as one of Canada's most dynamic and dynamic cities.
In 1835, Sherbrooke began seeking government support for the construction of a railroad line, and this became a reality with the construction of a line linking the cities of Montreal and Portland. By 1852, the construction of the Eastern Township rail network helped to promote the economic development of Sher Brooke by providing an easy trade route.